Friday, January 25, 2008

DONA LUISA'S BANANA BREAD (from Guatemala)

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed, very ripe bananas
1/3 cup milk with 1 tsp lemon juice

optional: 1/2 cup chopped nuts

Beat butter and sugar, add the eggs and bananas and blend thoroughly. Mix the flour with soda and salt and add to the butter, alternating with the milk. Stir in the nuts. Pour the batter into a well buttered pan 9x5" and bake at 350* degrees for 1 hour or until bread begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.

(I have had to bake it a little longer...so just something to watch for)

I hope you enjoy! (I really miss the great bananas they had down there! Very different from the ones that are shipped to Alaska.)

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Thank you for posting this recipe! I just made this today and it turned out fabulous! Thanks so much!

Unknown said...

I was looking for a recipe of the best banana bread I ever ate and I'm so glad I found this one - it tastes fantastic. Thank you so much for posting it! Best wishes from Germany!